Monday, October 12, 2009

Big Dipper or Big Bear: You Decide

   As a Boy Scout, I had a very cool set of glow-in-the-dark star cards with all of the constellations in phosphorescent green. At night, you could charge up the card with a flashlight, then go out onto a field and have a visible map of the constellations in your hand.  
   I'll admit, I had a hard time seeing all those animals, people and creatures up there among the stars at night but I tried to apply my imagination into seeing the patterns in the night sky. I especially like illustrations which tried to visualize the various groupings. Here is a fine set of such images.




Ursa Major, the Big Bear, or what we know as the Big Dipper


Aquarius, the Water Bearer


Bootes, the Herdsman


Cancer, the Crab


Big Dog and Rabbit


Equus, the Horse


Gemini, the Twins


Hydra and Various Items


Orion, the Hunter


Pisces, the Fish


Sagittarius, the Archer


The Scorpion


Taurus, the Bull


The Virgin



No comments:

Post a Comment